Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
On/Off Campus and Mobile Device Access
The library New York Times subscription allows current Dickinson faculty, students, and staff to access the paper's online edition whether on or off campus, using a browser or the NY Times App on your smartphone.
- You have to register for a Group Pass in order to use the subscription. After you register the account, you should be able to log into the NY Times site or smartphone app from anywhere and have access.
*See instructions for first time registration, as well as for the NY Times app.*
- Once registered, a student group pass is valid until graduation; renewal may be necessary if your expected graduation year changes after registration. Faculty and staff will need to renew registration every 4 years (provided you are still affiliated with Dickinson).
*See instructions for renewing a group pass.*
- Access to the crossword puzzle and tablet apps is not included in the subscription.
- Content dating back to 1996 is included, along with some access to older material. Use ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2018) and Nexis Uni (1980-present) to access historical content.
*See other subscription limitations.*
- Teaching and co-curricular materials for a wide range of disciplines are included in our subscription.
*See NY Times educational resouces.*
For more information, please consult the NY Times webpage.
First Time Registration instructions
- Visit the Group Pass registration page. Once there, you will select Dickinson College from the drop-down list and be prompted to register for an account.
- Click on create an account.
- Use your @dickinson.edu email for the username and create your own password.
- Select whether you are a student or faculty/staff. Students will also need to select their expected graduation year.
- You will then be taken to a page that says "Start your access" with the end date of the subscription. You can then click "Go to NYtimes.com".
- You are all set to use on and off campus. Simply log in directly to NY Times.com using the NYT.com login credentials you created in step 2.
- Group Pass registration is required no more than once every four years. There's no need to go through this process again until you are alerted that your Group Pass has expired.
Having problems obtaining a Group Pass? Be sure to confirm that you don't have existing NYT.com subscriptions connected to your Dickinson email. See notes under "If you have a personal NYT.com subscription."
NYT.com mobile app
- Follow the steps above to create a Group Pass account.
- Download the free NY Times app for your smartphone or tablet. (The NY Times website lists the apps that are available.)
- Once the app has downloaded, log in with the credentials you created in step
- If the app does not recognize you as a subscriber, try renewing your group pass first, then logging in again to the app.
- Full mobile access is included.
Renewing a Group Pass
Once registered, a student group pass is valid until graduation. Faculty and staff will need to renew registration annually (provided you are still affiliated with Dickinson).
1. Navigate to the Dickinson Group Pass registration page
2. Select your registration option, based on whether you are on or off-campus. If you're off-campus, you will need to enter your Dickinson login when prompted.
3. Click "Already have an account? Log in here"
4. Log in with your existing NYT username (your dickinson.edu email address) and password
Once completed, your digital access will be restored and you may navigate directly to nytimes.com from any web-enabled device (you won't need to repeat this process for another year).
NY Times Educational Resources
Teaching and co-curricular materials for a wide range of disciplines are available from the New York Times as part of our campus site license.
Visit http://NYTimes.com/edu and click the "Register" link in the upper right corner. From there, follow instructions to create an account.
If you have a personal NYT.com subscription
NYTime Games/Crossword, and NYTimes Cooking are NOT included in the access provided through the library. If you want to also maintain any personal NYTimes.com subscriptions, you should access your personal subscription through a different username/login that does NOT use your Dickinson email address to avoid problems with access. See the NYT.com member center for contact information.
- Crosswords are not included in the subscription. However, the Book Review is included.
- Videos can be shared, linked to, or attached to a blog, but cannot be downloaded to a computer.