Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You oversee all library services consultants during your supervisor’s shifts:
- Model the type of behaviors and professional performance you want to promote among employees.
- Share genuine positive reinforcement and foster a good working environment.
- Have open communication with those you supervise and consistently convey clear job-related expectations.
- Establish a professional relationship. Be a mentor and guide each employee throughout the duration of their library shifts.
- Give crucial feedback and focus on specifics about any task performance in need of improvement.
If a student employee is not performing their duties, it is your responsibility to have a professional conversation in order to keep library services consultants engaged in helping users and performing tasks as needed. Repeated poor performance after you address the issue with the LSC should be reported to the Circulation Services Supervisor.
Ensure proper coverage of service desks. Student employee schedule is displayed at the Circulation Desk and a link is posted on section 1 of Moodle. If a student employee who is scheduled to work is 10 minutes late:
- Try to contact him/her directly via phone and email. A phone list is attached to the supervisor’s manual cover and an electronic copy is found in section 4 of Moodle.
- If the student comes in late (10 minutes or more), you will need to Send tardy message to student employee from the Circulation e- mail account (email login information is taped to the base of the supervisor's monitor).
- If an employee does not show for a shift, send them the ‘No Show Notice – Library Shift’ email saved in the ‘Drafts’ folder of the Circulation e- mail account (email login information is taped to the base of the supervisor's monitor).
- Get a worker for the uncovered shift when possible. If someone you know is available, feel free to recruit them as a sub.
- If a tardy employee arrives after the initial 20 minutes of their shift and you already have a sub for it, the tardy employee can be dismissed due to lateness and the lack of appropriate communication with library staff. Make sure to document the 'No-Show' issue on Moodle.
When ill or in an emergency situation, student employees have been oriented to call the circulation desk to report their absence to the on-duty supervisor. When you get a call, please document the communication on the 'Excused Absences' forum in section 1 on Moodle. Absent student employees are also expected to post their shift on the sub-request forum.