The library New York Times subscription allows Dickinson faculty, students, and staff to access the paper's online edition whether on or off campus, using a browser or the NY Times App on your smartphone.
- You have to register for a Group Pass in order to use the subscription. After you register the account, you should be able to log into the NY Times site or smartphone app from anywhere and have access.
- Once registered, a student group pass is valid until graduation. Faculty and staff will need to renew registration annually (provided you are still affiliated with Dickinson).
- Access to the crossword puzzle and tablet apps is not included in the subscription.
- Content dating back to 1998 is included in the subscription, but access to older material may be restricted. Full text databases, such as ProQuest Historical Newspapers (1851-2008) and Lexis Nexis (June 1980-present), may be better for searching for historical content.
- Visit the Group Pass registration page. Once there, you will be prompted to register for an account.
- Click on create an account.
- Use your @dickinson.edu email for the username and create your own password.
- You will then be taken to a page that says "Start your access" with the end date of the subscription. You can then click "Go to NYtimes.com".
- You are all set to use on and off campus. To use the subscription off campus, simply log in to NY Times.com using the credentials you created in step 2.
Smartphone & Tablet Access
- Follow the steps above to create a Group Pass account.
- Download the free NY Times app for your smartphone or tablet. (The NY Times website lists the apps that are available.)
- Once the app has downloaded, log in with the credentials you created in step 1.
- If the app does not recognize you as a subscriber, try renewing your group pass first, then logging in again to the app.
- Some non-NYT produced apps work well with Blackberry and other Smartphones. Full mobile access is included.
- Crosswords are not included in the subscription. However, the Book Review is included.
- Videos can be shared, linked to, or attached to a blog, but cannot be downloaded to a computer.
- Date restrictions: Users can only download 4 articles per month from 1923-1986. We recommend using the library's archival NYT databases for historical articles.
For more information, please consult the NY Times webpage: