The development of Internet communication and social media has expanded the traditional notion of identity. Now, people have online identities in addition to real life identities. It can be hard to manage the relationship between online and real life identities because a) materials that are posted online may exist forever; b) they can shape people's interpersonal perception towards you in the real world; and c) employers tend to use online platforms to verify and validate the identity of individuals. Hence, it is important to be aware of effective ways to manage your online identities.
Managing online identities is important because:
• It provides platforms for people to express their feelings and show different sides of their personalities.
• It helps people to understand you more holistically.
• It helps to shape people’s interpersonal perception.
• People often associate your virtual identities with real life identities.
• Employers will use online platforms to verify and validate the identity of individuals.
• More importantly, the materials posted online may exist forever and may always be searchable.
With the existence of many different kinds of social media outlets, the online identities that you create should:
• be detached, but at the same time reflective of your true identity;
• use different social media platforms to provide emphasis on different aspects of your identity;
• depend on your desired outcome in different circumstances.